Key proposals include:
- A move away from shared responsibility for packaging waste to a single point of obligation (this aligns with producer responsibility regimes in the EU)
- Lowering the de-minimis threshold to £1m and 25 tonnes
- Mandatory takeback and recycling for disposable cups
- Obligating online marketplaces for filled packaging
- Eco-modulation to make waste management fees lower for more recyclable packaging
The consultation closes on 4 June 2021.
Producers can prepare for the forthcoming changes by implementing a sustainable packaging policy that aims to reduce, reuse and improve the recyclability of their packaging. If you would like to discuss how Compliance Map can help with your data and reporting requirements for sustainable packaging, please contact us.